Table of Contents
- What Does Fatal Device Hardware Error Mean ?
- What is Error 0x800701E3 ?
- Effects of Error 0x800701E3 :
- Reasons of 0x800701e3 :
- 10 Ways to Fix Error 0x800701e3 :
- 1. Run DISM Tool to Fix Error 0x800701e3
- 2. Run the System File Checker (SFC) to scan.
- 3. Repair Hard Drive for Bad Sectors, and Fix the Error 0x800701e3.
- 4. Fix Error 0800701e3 By using, “CHKDSK /f DRIVELETTER” Command.
- 5. Handling Bad Sectors.
- 6. Disabling Secure Boot
- 7. Changing the Connection cable/card Adapter
- 8. Retrying the Operation over & over Again
- 9. Restore Your Windows to an Earlier Time to Fix Error 0x800701e3.
- 10. Update USB external disk drivers
- Conclusions : Error 0x800701e3
How to Fix Error 0x800701e3 ? Error codes often state what has gone wrong under the hood of the PC hardware. Ignoring error messages isn’t advisable, especially if it’s a serious error message which may be informing the user about a serious issue.
What Does Fatal Device Hardware Error Mean ?
The error message “The request failed because of a fatal device hardware error” may appear on your display screen. If you face, error 0x800701e3 then it means that your operating system cannot get access to the hard drive and cannot perform the read and write operations on it.
What is Error 0x800701E3 ?
When someone performs a hard disk / SD card operation that involves copying or moving files on Windows, then this error will occur. In most cases, the problem is reported to occur when the user tries to move files from one disk drive to another. Other users report that the problem is happening once they try to clean install Windows 10 or a different Windows version. Looking at the status code, the error 0x800701e3 sows this message, “The request failed because of a fatal device hardware error.”
Effects of Error 0x800701E3 :
- During Windows installation a critical error message appears on the screen with error 0x800701e3 code. Which means that it’s impossible to continue the installation process.
- The same error pops up on the screen while the user is copying a file, and states that it’s impossible to proceed.
- This error message shows up randomly.
- Windows might lead to Blue Screen depending upon the condition.
Reasons of 0x800701e3 :
- Cables may be damaged or poorly connected. As a result, data can’t be transferred.
- Hardware issues on an external hard drive.
- Other problems with an external hard drive.
- The error 0x800701e3 could also be an indicator that there are bad sectors or errors on your hard drive.
- Besides, the erro 0x800701e3 in Windows 10 may be caused by a failing peripheral like a SATA cable or an SD card adapter. This error occurred when you trying to clean install a Windows version.
- Network, CPU, Disk, and even more conflicting components make the process of Windows installation intensive. So, this process ends with an error 0x800701e3.
10 Ways to Fix Error 0x800701e3 :
To fix the Error 0x800701e3, you can try performing the below steps. Please check if the problem gets fixed after performing each troubleshooting step. If the problem remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
1. Run DISM Tool to Fix Error 0x800701e3
DISM is a tool that comes built-in with Windows and can be used to install a Windows Image. It is very helpful to solve various Windows issues and can therefore help you with this as well. Note that this is a really powerful tool and making a mistake when you are running it can cause issues — so be careful.
Follow these steps to run the DISM tool in your PC.
Open command prompt, type within the following commands, and press Enter on your keyboard after each command, to execute it. Make sure you wait for the first command to complete running before you start with the second.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Now, wait for the second command to end, and close the command prompt.
Once it’s done, reboot your computer and try to run the Windows setup again.
2. Run the System File Checker (SFC) to scan.
SFC will scan for the corrupted files in your PC and repair them.
Now, follow the following steps to run the SFC scan,
- Open the start Menu.
- Type CMD in the search field.
- Right-click on command prompt. Select Run as Administrator.
- Enter the password if prompted.
- Type as sfc /scannow on command prompt and hit enter.
- Win32kbase.sys blue screen error
- The scan will take a while to finish. After that, reboot your computer.
Now, try to run the Windows setup again and check if the problem with the error 0x800701e3 got resolved.
3. Repair Hard Drive for Bad Sectors, and Fix the Error 0x800701e3.
Bad sectors are the errors in the hard drive. It also prevents you to perform the Windows upgrade and shows this fatal error. For checking the bad sectors, follow these steps.
Open CMD, type chkdsk C: /f /r /x and hit Enter.
Hard drive scanning part will take a while to finish. It’ll scan for the errors and fix them automatically.
4. Fix Error 0800701e3 By using, “CHKDSK /f DRIVELETTER” Command.
Before purchasing a new disk drive, a few of tweaks can be tried out as they do work sometimes. Microsoft Windows provides the CHKDSK command to identify and fix errors in hard drives. CHKDSK stands for Check Disk, and it’s the standard way to fix hard drive errors in the Windows platform since Windows XP.
Now, follow these steps :
- Open CMD.
- Type the following command and press ENTER.
- CHKDSK /f DRIVELETTER:
As an example, if you want to check the D drive for errors, type the following.
CHKDSK /f D:
5. Handling Bad Sectors.
If you’re seeing the error 0x800701e3, it is because your HDD contains too many bad sectors. There are a few of built-in utilities that are capable of fixing bad sectors to some extent.
After performing CHKDSK and SFC scans on the affected drive you will be able to install windows without any error.
Here’s how to do this:
- Start your computer and press any key to boot from the installation media while the prompt is showing.
- At the initial Windows, ‘ installation screen, click on Repair your computer.
- Inside the Advanced Options menu, go to Troubleshoot then click on command prompt.
- in the command prompt, type chkdsk /f X:
Note: X is just a placeholder. Replace this letter with drive that is effected.
- Once the CHKDSK scan is finished, type sfc /scannow :
- Once the second scan is finished, try to install windows again. Hopefully, the error 0x800701e3 has been fixed.
6. Disabling Secure Boot
Error 0x800701e3 will not occur after you disable Secure boot from UEFI/BOOT. The secure boot was developed by the biggest manufacturers in the PC industry to ensure that all the PCs are using software exclusively from Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM).
Steps to disable Secure boot:
- Press the Setup (Boot key) repeatedly after powering up your machine (during the initial bootup sequence).
- Press the BIOS key during the startup procedure.
- Once you gain entry into your BIOS menu, search for a setting named “Secure Boot” and set it to disable. The exact name and site will be different from manufacturer to manufacturer, but typically, you’ll find it inside the security tab — you might also find it inside the Boot or Authentication tab.
- Disable Secure Boot
- Save the changes and exit your BIOS settings. Hopefully, the error 0x800701e3 should be fixed after this method.
7. Changing the Connection cable/card Adapter
This is may be an electronic problem inside the hardware/ SD card enclosure. In some cases, this problem was actually caused by SATA cable or an SD card adapter.
So, change the connectivity cable / SD card adapter to fix this issue.
8. Retrying the Operation over & over Again
If the data you’re trying to copy or move is extremely important, you might be able to recover bits and pieces by retrying the process over and over again.
And rather than copying / moving all the files directly, try to move the data separately and see if you’re successful.
You will be able to gradually copy the data that were previously failing with this error by copying data individually and retrying multiple times until the transfer is successful.
9. Restore Your Windows to an Earlier Time to Fix Error 0x800701e3.
Here is an alternate to get rid of the error 0x800701e3 by restoring your Windows to an earlier time.
Here are detailed steps you can follow.
- Start your PC.
- Click on the start menu button at the bottom left side. Then click on All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then click System Restore one by one.
- In the pop-up window, select, “Restore my computer to an earlier time” option and click on Next.
- Inside the new window, you can select the recommended restore point or other different restore points and click on Next. Here it’s recommended that you simply choose the most recent store point.
- When the restoration is finished restart your PC.
10. Update USB external disk drivers
To fix “the request failed due to a fatal device hardware error,” you can use the method of updating drivers. Outdated drivers lead to interruptions in the operation of the external hard drive.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Simultaneously press the key combination Win + X.
- Select Device Manager -> Disk Drivers.
- Now select the specified external drive and right-click on it.
- From the list, select Update Driver Software.
- Wait until the process is complete and check if the request failed due to a fatal device hardware error” is gone.
Conclusions : Error 0x800701e3
These are the top 10, methods that will help you to avoid Error 0x800701e3 OR any other fatal hardware errors. If these top 10 methods do not work try to change your Hard Drive.